All you need to know about St Charbel’s Care Centre

What is Residential Aged Care?

Residential Aged Care covers personal and nursing care in aged care homes for elderly persons who have become unable to live independently in their own homes. There are two types of Residential Aged Care – Permanent Residential Aged Care and Residential Respite Care. For more information on aged care homes and how they work, visit:

What is Residential Respite Care?

Respite Care differs from permanent Residential Aged Care, in that your stay within an Aged Care centre is short-term. Respite Care may be required in instances when your home carers are unable to care for you for a period, or you need time away from caring for yourself. Respite Care is limited to 63 days of each financial year, however the possibility of extending this time in lots of 21 days can be arranged with your Aged Care provider by contacting your local ACAT.

Can I transition from Residential Respite Care, to permanent Residential Aged Care?

Yes. It is possible for you to request for your transition to permanent Residential Care, should the need arise. This decision is dependent on your individual case and your care needs. This request must be directed to Facility Manager for discussion and approval.

Do I need to sell my house to get into permanent Residential Aged Care?

Whilst this choice may be suitable in many cases, it is essential to be aware of rules that may apply to the sale of your house, and how this will affect your assessments before entering a permanent Residential Aged Care home. The full value of your house will not be included in the assessment of your assets if you keep it. For the purpose of Aged Care, your house is assessed at a capped amount unless a protected person, such as your partner, lives there. It is important to know that the sale of your house may be assessed for Capital Gains Tax.
For more information regarding important questions to consider before selling your house, visit

Is it expensive to move into Residential Aged Care?

The price of your aged care is dependent on several factors. The Australian Government provides subsidies based on your individual care needs, paid directly to your Aged Care home. The cost of your accommodation and care is also dependent on your assessed ability to do so by the government. You must complete a means assessment to find out if you are eligible for government assistance with accommodation costs and if you need to pay a means tested care fee (MTCF).
The various fees involved with moving into an Aged Care home include the basic daily fee, the means tested care fee, accommodation costs, and other additional care and services costs. For more information regarding Aged Care costs, click here, or visit

Do you provide care to those with Dementia?

The safety and security of all our residents is paramount. St Charbel’s Care Centre does not have a dementia-specific ward, and thus this low-security construction of the Centre does not allow for us to provide care for those with dementia.

However, we recognise that every individual is unique, and their care needs can differ from one another. We encourage you to contact us if you would like to discuss your ACAT results and our ability to care for your or your loved one with dementia.

Can residents leave during the day or stay overnight elsewhere?

Residents can leave the Centre throughout the day, provided the care staff on duty are notified, and the sign out register is signed upon leaving and returning to the Centre.
Only permanent Aged Care residents are permitted to leave the Centre to stay overnight elsewhere, within limits. This must first be cleared with the Facility manager. However, respite residents are not able to stay overnight elsewhere, as this is considered an immediate discharge.

Are there any Arabic-speaking staff?

Being a part of the local St Charbel community, the Centre has welcomed both staff and residents from a predominantly Arabic background. Whilst there are Arabic-speaking staff across all departments, St Charbel’s Care Centre values diversity and equal opportunity for all staff. As such, we make every effort to educate our staff to tailor our care services and communication to the needs of our residents, including any language barriers.

Are the monks always available for communion or Mass?

The monks and clergy members of our neighbouring St Charbel Monastery are actively involved in the daily management and operations of the Centre. Mass, pastoral care and other religious services are available at regularly scheduled times. If a resident wishes to be personally seen by a clergy member of the Monastery, this can be conveniently organised through Management staff.